• Breaking News

    Monday, May 11, 2020

    No Man's Sky I couldn’t think of a more appropriate name for my explorer.

    No Man's Sky I couldn’t think of a more appropriate name for my explorer.


    I couldn’t think of a more appropriate name for my explorer.

    Posted: 11 May 2020 01:41 AM PDT

    Ring Glider

    Posted: 10 May 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    H.M.S. Sean. A working paddle steamer. PS4 Normal mode, Euclid Galaxy

    Posted: 11 May 2020 05:48 AM PDT

    WHO WOULD WIN?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:36 AM PDT

    This game lads...unbelievable.

    Posted: 10 May 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    Found this buried by my Nip Nip farm! Don’t know if I will sell it though, it’s only 420 years old.

    Posted: 11 May 2020 10:19 AM PDT

    Ship boast finally!!

    Posted: 11 May 2020 04:11 AM PDT

    I made a postcard for my first non-NPC visitor. We lit fireworks and shared a mystery meat pie!

    Posted: 11 May 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    Apparently there was a sale on this particular shuttle model...everyone has one...

    Posted: 11 May 2020 09:30 AM PDT

    Flying nightmare fuel

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:06 AM PDT

    Every time

    Posted: 11 May 2020 10:03 AM PDT

    More Things I wish I knew when starting out in NMS (part 1)

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:00 AM PDT

    I've been answering questions from new players. In the process, I've collected more things, which I've tried to organize better than in the earlier discussion at https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/g7o99j/things_i_wish_i_knew_when_i_was_starting_out_in/.

    Part 2 of this is at https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/ghkry0/more_things_i_wish_i_knew_when_starting_out_in/

    Starting Out

    This is a big game, with a lot packed into it. The game's been evolving and changing over all these years. Having played since Day One, I am amazed at how much this game has grown. I've put 1800+ hours into it so far, and I'm still going strong.

    Now, this game is approachable. Start a normal game up. The first half hour is going to make you crazy as you try to figure out the controls before you die in a hostile environment. I started a new game 90+ hours back, and I really struggled with those first few minutes. (I'm slow and the camera orientation is not how I normally play, so I was in trouble. I handed the controller to my son, and he got me to the point where I could play normally.)

    There are a lot of missions to guide you through the basics of the game, from finding resources, to crafting simple things, while you repair your ship and head into space. There are missions that teach you how to build a basic base, and how to reach the Anomaly, and more. You can skip past some things if you can figure out what to do beforehand, but I've been following through the missions in the restart. They get you what you need to know. (Well, yes, I did have my farm up and ready long before the tutorials got me there, but I've been building farms at nearly every base I've built since farms became a thing.)

    There are a lot of people here who will answer your questions, even if everyone else seems to know everything. Hint: I'm still learning new things about this game and I've been playing since it came out.

    There are some guides out there. Anything older than a year is probably too out of date. Things that talk about the Beyond release and later may be very useful.

    Once you get the basics down, you'll figure out it's an exploration, xenoarchaeological, base building, xenobiological, shoot the pirates or run away (my option), find and repair crashed ships, get better tools, run community missions with other players, and more kind of game. And who know where it will be after the next two releases?

    Exosuit Upgrades

    Don't forget to buy an upgrade slot the first time you get to a functional new station. The Exosuit Tech Dealer will let you purchase an upgrade. They aren't cheap. My middle row Cargo slots are $1 million each.

    Be aware: You can walk into the Upgrade Unit and it may look like you don't have any upgrades to buy. If you have all 48 of your general slots already, the display will be gray. Don't forget to check the Technology and Cargo tabs. Once you switch tabs, the display will light up and show you an available slot, if you still have one in that tab. You can get to your suit to 48/14/48 and it will still feel like it's not enough.

    This is why you look for Drop Pods, as explained in my earlier post.

    Exosuit Protection

    You need tech in your Exosuit Tech to protect you from the elements. It shouldn't be hard to find an S class protective tech at one of the Exosuit tech dealers in the Space Stations you know. You'll need about 600+ Nanites.

    Furthermore, there are a lot of missions when you first start out. If one sounds particularly challenging -- it's OK to put it down for a while, to concentrate on something else. While you're doing that, you can collect some protective tech, buy some Dioxite, Uranium, Ammonia, Phosphorus or Ion Batteries to recharge the tech, perhaps even buy an S class underwater tech, giving you more oxygen as you dive. There are also Jetpack Movement techs you can add to your Exosuit for faster movement underwater. Once protected, you can go back to that mission, now better prepared.

    This can be a lot of tech, especially if you haven't added more slots to your Exosuit -- another "mission" to take on.

    I spend enough time in hazardous environments that I've gone from 1 to 2 protections for each hazard. I also carry the materials for recharging them, so I'm set.

    Stuff to carry

    I admit it. I'm a pack-rat. I'm trying to get better about it.

    Someone asked me what to do because they kept running out of Ferrite dust, and they had all sorts of constructed things in their inventory... (We were all new once.)

    First, there are places with good economies that you can buy a couple thousand units of Ferrite Dust (or your need du jour) at a time. Buy what you need if you don't have it.

    Second, you know that Rusted Metal on the green boxes? Collect it. Every now and then, toss the collection into your Personal Refiner. Let it work away as you walk. Sooner or later, the Rusted Metal will be refined -- into Ferrite Dust, at 2 Dust for each Metal. I've been doing this in my 100+ hour restart and I have more than enough Ferrite Dust.

    Third, you don't need to store a lot:

    • I use a high capacity slot in my Exosuit for Wiring Looms.
    • Carry Carbon (from Standing Planters) -- there's no need to carry Carbon Nanotubes. Make them as you need them.
    • You obviously need to carry Oxygen.
    • Carry Chromatic Metal and Condensed Carbon (refined from all that Carbon you got out of your Standing Planters) so you can whip off an Antimatter when you need it -- like in Drop Pods. Condensed Carbon also gives you Hermetic Seals, so no need to carrying them. Use the Standing Planters -- I currently have 9,999 Carbon and more than 6,000 Condensed Carbon, almost entirely from my Planters.
    • Drop Pod repair is also why you should carry Ionized Cobalt. I just carry Cobalt and Ionize it as needed in my Personal Refiner.
    • There's enough Di-Hydrogen around that if you need a Jelly, you can just zap a local outcropping. I never carry Di-Hydrogen in my suit. (Well, now that I have the Matter Stream in my Freighter, I can borrow the Di-Hydrogen that's there for Frigate fuel.)
    • You probably want to carry Ammonia, Uranium, Phosphorus, and Dioxite, to recharge the S-class Environment Protection Techs you've added to your Exosuit. You do have one (or two) of each in your Tech slots, right?
    • You're carrying Drop Pod Coordinate Data as you can afford them, so you can get your Exosuit to 48/14/48, right?
    • Gold, Silver, Sodium, Sodium Nitrate, and the Ferrite trio round out my collection, for repairs and base building.
    • Projectile Ammunition is important.
    • Silicate Powder comes with the Terrain Manipulator and recharges it. I currently have 11,300 units of it.
    • All my Rusted Metal has been refined, for now.
    • You need an Atlas Pass, but only the most advanced one. When you get a v3, you can throw away your v2. Your v1 should be gone when you got the v2.
    • I have Ion Batteries (left over from when I didn't have the four recharge elements), Microprocessors, collected Salvaged Data, and collected Navigation Data in my high capacity slots.
    • I had to mine some Copper, which was the nearest metal usable, for powering portals. Now that I have a lot of slots, I can afford to carry it. (I'm at 48/14/20ish. It's $1m a new cargo slot at space stations.)

    There is a refinery path for all the various flavors of crud you scrape off of Damaged Machinery and other surfaces. You can keep refining the substances all the way to Nanites. It's very slow.

    Stupid Base Tricks

    Most of my bases are high on supports because I was seriously burned by terrain regeneration when I built something that was partially underground. I had to keep digging it out, which was really frustrating. Now I only have to worry about trees growing up and through landing pads and floors. There's nothing quite as annoying as an Obnoxious Fart plant regenerating under your Storage Unit base.

    I build a Supply Depot right next to one of the walls of my base, and put a Holodoor on that wall. I run a pipeline from my Extractor farm to that Depot, using Depots every 100-200u as needed to span the distance. That way, I can reach through the door and collect what my Extractors have gathered without having to leave my base. I go right from my Depot to the Galactic Trade Terminal without my Gek Kaffein getting cold.

    I have Save Points on my Freighter in each game I play. I always hit them when I arrive, when I make big changes, and before I leave. I usually have a couple in my bases. I've had issues in other NMS games -- lost a 500+ hour one some time ago, so I save early and often.

    In the last several bases I've built, I put a Save Point at the end of my bed in my bedroom. Thus, when I start up the game, it's like I just woke to see a beautiful alien landscape. The sunrises at Exuberant Base are glorious.

    If you're like me, in Normal mode, and you build a lot of bases, beware! There appears to be a global invisible complexity limit. In one case, I added a table and chairs to a base and completely broke my mineral extraction. Removing the table and chairs repaired the problem. I couldn't do any Nexus "build a base" missions, because it would not let me place a single room. It was stunningly weird and totally unexpected. I think there are two limits:

    • a per base limit, and
    • a sum of all your bases limit.

    Once I deleted some old bases, I had more breathing room. Odd breakages stopped, for the moment.

    Keep a base in Euclid. Build one if you haven't already. There are times when you have to go back to Euclid to complete a mission. The Living Ship mission ends in Euclid.

    Base Storage -- Storage Units and Nutrient Processors

    This can be confusing when you start out. Think of it as having 10 Storage Chambers, from 0-9, that are accessible from your Freighter and every base you build with Storage. Thus, I can drop something into Storage Unit 7 (Other Elements) at my Exuberant Base (Eissentam), fly up to my Freighter -- yes, it's still there in Unit 7, fly off to my Snow Place Like Home Base (Euclid) -- and it's there in Unit 7 too. You can name the Storage Unit at bases, but not on Freighters.

    This is immensely useful.

    I have one Unit dedicated to storing a collection of the harvested plants and other useful elements. Given the different needs in crafting, you'll have some leftovers when you do a round of crafting. These go into the Storage Unit, to add to the build from the next harvest. For example, the 56 Solanium leftovers won't buy anything more this round, but it may get me one extra build the next time I harvest.

    The same commonality is available in your Nutrient Processors. If I have 33 Pulpy Roots in my Processor at Exuberant Base, the same 33 Pulpy Roots are accessible in the Processor on my Freighter, as well as at Snow Place Like Home. More importantly, those ingredients are in the Nutrient Processor you build on a planet surface. If you just happen to have Animal Baits in your storage, or the precursors you use to create the Baits, then you've just made every "Tame N Creatures" and "Feed M Creatures" mission almost trivial. I've made a lot of Quicksilver this way.

    Note that there was a revision along the way.

    • Nutrient Processors from older games have 10 slots
    • Nutrient Processors from newer games have 25 slots

    This makes me a little crazy when I play in the 1170+ hour Day One game.

    Making Money

    There are many different approaches you can take, and usually you end up doing several of them. This is not a complete list.

    • Follow the missions that teach you how to build a base. You will need Salvage Data to uncover the base components and tech at the Anomaly, so go out and find them. You should always be scanning for them. You can quickly get to a point where you can build a base with some "cash crops." My recent restart base started with 12 hydroponic trays with Gravitino Balls, which still bring in $180k every few hours on my base trade terminal.
    • When you have enough reliable power (preferably from a hotspot), you can build out a big farm. My 100+ hour base has 24 Biodomes, as described in https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/gc2qnw/one_way_to_make_money_first_full_harvest_from_my/. My Borealis base in the 1170+ hour game has 32. 24 works well enough to produce enough materials to be able to build Liquid Explosive, Circuit Boards, and Living Glass. At 100+ hours in, my farm produces $25m-$40m in those three trade goods, when sold in a good economy.
    • If you've built your base in the center of a triangle of Hotspots -- power, gas, and mineral, you can mine the gas and mineral for cash. 5,000 cobalt, 6,000 silver, or 7,500 emeril can bring in big $$$ and may be useful in building other things.
    • Always, always scan. Dig up Salvage Data as opportunities present themselves. Once you've purchased all the available Anomaly base tech, you can use the Salvage Data in other ways:
      • Sell it for Units. It's worth a lot.
      • Refine it for Nanites. Each Salvage Data refines into 15 Nanites.
      • There's a section below with many more thoughts.
    • Buy maps to find crashed ships and crashed Freighters. Repair the crashed ships enough to get them to the Space Station and scrap them. Dive the Freighters for their loot.
    • Acquire a Freighter. Hire decent Frigates. Send groups of them on missions, such that they have more stars than the mission needs. (e.g. you send 3 stars of ships on a 2 star mission.) More on this below.
    • Run missions out of the Nexus at the Anomaly.
      • Frankly, if you learn how to cook a few preferred baits, you can rock the "Tame N Creature" missions quickly. (My list includes Gamma Weed, Faecium, fruits, and Pulpy Roots.)
      • The "Dig up Bones" missions let you keep (and sell) what you dig up. Since you have to find Epic or Ancient Bones, you're guaranteed to come back with at least one valuable treasure. Be sure you have empty slots, because you can end up digging up a lot of bones before you hit the jackpot.
    • Cook more complex foods. Take them to the Chef at the Anomaly. They will give you Nanites in exchange for one unit of the given food. Sell the rest, as complex food sells for $$$. Or save them for another, separate trip into the Nexus. Trying two or three attempts in a row for the same food can lead to diminishing returns, or nothing at all.
    • Run missions out of the Space Station Mission office. They're right next to the visible Galactic Trade Terminal, and you can earn units, nanites, and valuable Guild standing.
    • If you run a Mercenaries Guild mission, the person between the Mission person and the Cartographer will give you "your share of the profits" on the first time you visit them. So, if you fall into this category, you should stop at this office in every station you visit.
    • I'm a sucker for Storm Crystals. On some planets, I can grab 10-20 in a single storm, without even using an Exocraft.
    • You can play the trade game, buying local products (e.g. Star Silk) cheaply, selling them for much more on other worlds.
    • I'm sure there are more ways I've forgotten...

    Money, Nanites and Salvaged Data

    Salvaged Data serves three purposes in the game:

    1. It's used to buy Building Tech from your Base Construction Thing I Never Build and at the Anomaly
    2. It can be sold for large amounts of money
    3. It can be refined into Nanites, where 1 SD -> 15 Nanites

    In the early game, I will go salvaging. I find a decent world with a good environment, then go from Salvage Data to nearest Salvage Data until I have 90 or more. You don't have to clear the entire tech tree to build a decent base, but there are clever uses you can do with some of the wood, concrete, and metal forms, if you're interested. I always clear the entire tree, even if I know I'm probably not going to use some of the things (goofy decals) there.

    When I'm not on a salvaging foray, I gather Salvage Data opportunistically:

    1. Scan whenever done at a stop in the mission. This is yet another reason to have your MultiTool scanner tech maxed out as soon as possible.
    2. Any Salvage Data within 100u is mine. Occasionally, you'll find a cluster of two or three within 100u of each other.
    3. Any Salvage Data within 200u is a decision based on the environment, predators, Sentinels, and other occupational hazards.
    4. Any Salvage Data beyond that is uninteresting unless it's clearly located next to something of interest. (e.g. its indicator is on top of a Language Stone indicator at the same approximate distance)
    5. Go to the next stop in the mission.

    There are also some other observations:

    • There is almost always a Salvage Data buried within 50u of a Damaged Machinery.
    • This is especially the case in a Minor Settlement, where you'll almost always find the Salvage Data out by the two trailers.
    • You can occasionally buy a couple of Salvage Data from the Tech dealer at the back of a Minor Settlement main building. It's not cheap.
    • Some Nexus missions will give a couple Salvaged Data out as a reward. I saw a mission offering three SD, which is what you would probably dig up next to a Damaged Machinery. Fifteen or thirty might be more tantalizing. Skip these missions.

    Two things of note, reasons why you should continue to opportunistically gather Salvage Data long after you've cleared the Base Tech Tree:

    1. You need a lot of Nanites for improving your Exosuit, Multitool, and Space Ship. They are needed to Evolve components in your Living Ship before you install them.
    2. You can sell Salvage Data for a lot of money. I've collected $2-$3 million worth of Salvage Data on runs before. IIRC, I have 87 right now in the 100+ hour game. That works out to ~$3m or 1,305 Nanites. If I need $3m to buy an Exotic I come across, I'm going to use them for money. I currently have ~10k Nanites from Ship Scrapping, so converting them to Nanites is less pressing. Until I get the Living Ship -- then there won't be enough.

    I like their flexibility, which is why I keep scanning whenever I stop.

    Making More Money -- System Economies

    There are three tiers of Economies:

    • High Wealth Economies are described by synonyms like: Advanced, Affluent, Booming, Flourishing, High Supply, Opulent, Prosperous, Wealthy.
    • Medium Wealth Economies are described by synonyms like: Adequate, Balanced, Comfortable, Developing, Medium Supply. Promising. Satisfactory, Sustainable
    • Low Wealth Economies are described by synonyms that you will immediately recognize as Failing, Unsustainable, and other unfortunate words.

    There's no difference between Wealthy and Opulent, or Comfortable and Promising.

    If you have an Economy Scanner in your ship, you can see economic indicators for every system. (1, 2, or 3 vertical white circles on my PS4.) This will also tell you what kind of economy it is -- Technology, Mining, Scientific, etc. See https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Economy_Scanner for more details. If you don't have an Economy Scanner, that's a new mission for you.

    There is also a type of Economy: Mining, Scientific, etc. These are represented by icons on the system display.

    Some items can be sold for more money in one type of economy. Some items can be purchased cheaply in another economy. You can play a trading game this way, as a way to amass some money.

    You are more likely to find better ships and better technology in a higher level economy. I deliberately look for these systems, and will often set up a base in them, if I need a new base. I like to use the Teleport out and back again, so that the system shows up in my list of known systems.

    Some systems don't have an economy. They may be worth taking a look at -- but be sure you can get back using your hyperdrive.

    All the Money

    You can have a maximum of $4,294,967,295 -- it doesn't matter what you sell, your units cannot go higher than this. It looks like a weird number, but the reason is simple, if you understand anything about software development. 4,294,967,295 is the largest unsigned integer value you can store in 32 bits.

    As a long time programmer, I suspect that early on someone said something like "No one will ever have $4 billion, so this will be big enough." As a long time software engineer, who saw battle in the 32 to 64 bit conversion wars, this would probably require a significant revision to the code and the database schema to increase the limit.

    My 1170+ hour game has this much money, which changes the incentives in the game.

    Standard (not Living) Ship Basics

    Playing what looks cool is a great approach. However, be aware there are a LOT of cool ships out there. You can have up to six, but you should stop at five, so that you can pick up a crashed ship or buy a ship just to scrap it.

    First, I suggest you get to the Anomaly. There are instructional mission sequences that get you there, but I don't remember if you can just summon it right away. Then walk around the parking area as ships come in and go out. You'll see a good cross-section of the kinds of ships in the game. I suspect you'll want an Exotic or three and a Living Ship before long. The Freighter hangar in my 1170+ game has four different Exotics and two Living Ships.

    Second, there are three dimensions in improving a not-Living ship: Class, Capacity, and Capabilities.

    Class: This takes bucket loads of Nanites.

    • C -> B takes 10k Nanites
    • B -> A takes 25k Nanites
    • A -> S takes 50k Nanites

    My suggestion: make this a long-term goal, at a lower priority, because you're going to need Nanites for a lot of different things. S class ships are out there, for purchase, for many millions of units. Money is easier to amass. There are also crashed S class ships. People post coordinates, but that takes all the fun out of it for me. Exotics and Living Ships, by definition, are S class.

    Capacity: This takes a lot of money, but there are legitimate short cuts you can take. There's a lot more detail about how to go about this in Upgrading Your Ship section below.

    Patience is a virtue here. If you're just starting out, or 100+ hours into a restart like I am, there's just not enough money. So, be opportunistic. Work on this on the occasions where you've accumulated enough to have another go at it. I have money now because my Farm is up and running, and I have 19 Frigates to send out on missions.

    Capabilities: This is where your Nanites are going to go first. You're going to want to buy tech improvements for your ship. This requires focus.

    If you throw every possible weapon into the ship, you'll have no room for cargo. Pick two you like.

    Some tech is usually better than no tech. While I try to get S level tech, that takes ~600 Nanites a tech. My current ship had a bunch of A tech that I got for half the price. I've been replacing the worst tech items with the best I can buy, as I go along. Now, 30+ hours later, it's all S class.

    Placement of the tech makes a difference. One of the comments in my previous article points to a graphic someone did that talks about how adjacency and layout may or may not be relevant for some tech.

    You don't need 3 S techs and any default techs to start with. You need a functional weapon and the knowledge about when to Run Away!

    Patience is a virtue here as well. I've incrementally taken my A 23+6 Shuttle to A 40+14. C and B tech has been slowly replaced by S tech. I've actually gone overboard with the tech, but I can live with better shields, jumping 1,300 Light Years, and taking advantage of the Positron Ejector shotgun approach to cover my poor shooting skills. I'm at the maximum number of slots I can have for a ship of this class and type. It's not the prettiest ship out there, but it gets the job done.

    Standard Hyperdrive Tech

    You can build the Cadmium Hyperdrive with materials available anywhere you can reach. That allows you to get to red star planets with Cadmium very quickly, where you can mine all that you need. The Cadmium allows you to build the Emeril Drive, which gets you to green star planets with Emeril. That lets you build the Indium Drive, which gets you to blue star planets with Indium and the fabled Activated Indium. This is actually very easy to do, once you figure out how to navigate the frakking Galaxy Map. (Obviously, I'm still not good at it.)

    Once you have the Indium Drive, you can delete the Cadmium and Emeril Drive tech. This will drop your maximum jump distance by a couple of light years. You should replace them with a couple of S class hyperdrive techs. That will more than make up for those couple of light-years. Finding the S tech is easier if you know where the High Level Economies are and can get to them easily.

    Placement and orientation of the Tech matters. With some S Hyperdrive Tech in General slots and more in Technology slots, I have ships with over 2,000 light year maximum ranges. Squidiculous maxes at 2,607 light years.

    There is a similar Hyperdrive Tech progression for Freighter Hyperdrive engines. It takes a long time to gather the Salvaged Frigate Modules needed to unlock everything. This is another reason to keep sending out Frigate missions -- they occasionally come back with an SFM. The same is true with diving crashed Freighters -- you occasionally get an SFM. I've gotten nine in my 100+ hour game, enough to unlock the Matter Beam and the first Hyperdrive Tech.

    Upgrading Your Ship / Removing a Ship

    There are a number of ships you deal with in the game, and they have different operational paths:

    Ship Type Can Increase Slots? Can Remove From Fleet?
    Standard Ship Yes, at Stations Yes, by scrapping
    Standard Freighter Not yet Only one allowed, buy/trade upgrade
    Standard Frigate No slots, stats do increase with more missions. Your C Frigate can become an S class over time Not yet
    Living Ship Not yet? Not yet?

    For standard ships, you can buy additional inventory slots at the Ship Upgrade/Scrap Station. You can get to the maximum allowed for that type of ship and its class. The maximum is 48+21. I discovered my 100+ hour game Shuttle Proxima Vortex Blues is limited to A 40+14. Considering I started at A 23+6, that's not bad work.

    I did not buy a single upgrade from the station. You can buy a complete set of upgrades. Depending on your ship, this may cost you $2-3 billion units to do this. If you have All The Money, you probably have a way to make more -- which means spending $12-18 billion to upgrade an entire hangar full of ships is not that big a deal. I am that rich in my 1170+ hour game.

    Obviously, my 100+ hour game is not that way, since I choose not to go the Activated Indium or Market Crashing route to wealth and power. This is where the Honest Phil's Used Starship Sales and Service model comes into play.

    If you go to a High Wealth Economy Station, you can buy A (or S) class ships of reasonable size (25+ slots) just to scrap them. (Honest Phil sez "I got a little old Gek looking for this sweetheart of a ship, so sell it to me.") You have two choices:

    • Keep the new ship and scrap the one you came in with
    • Scrap the new ship

    With a big enough scrapped ship, you may get Storage Augmentation items as a result. These buy you a "free" additional slot in a ship. The reality is that if you sell the scraps and convert the recovered Techs into Nanites, you'll lose millions of units for every ship you recycle in this process. It is, however, cheaper than billions of units. (You might get the occasional Augmentation from a B or C class ship, but it's not very probable.)

    I can do this because I have $10-$50 million in my hands at all times. If I build up the cash, I can scrap a couple of ships, gather the Nanites and the Augmentations, and pour that into my main ship. If I find a better one, I'll trade up.

    Be careful -- the upgrade interface can be a little misleading, like the Exosuit upgrade. If you get to the maximum normal slots 40 or 48, the upgrade button will be gray, saying you've hit the maximum slots. If you change to the Tech slots and you're not already at 14 or 21, the button will change to green. You might miss the option if you don't switch slots.

    You love the ship you're with. With those Tech slots, I could rearrange the Tech on my ship, laying it out more optimally. Proxima Vortex Blues has:

    • Damage Potential: 109.8, up from 70.1 core. (I don't understand, because it's loaded with Positron Ejector tech and gives persistent pirates a very bad day.)
    • Shield Strength: 274.4, up from 174.3 core.
    • Hyperdrive Range: 1139.7, up from 200.6 core.
    • Maneuverability: 455.5, up from 267.4 core.

    I couldn't have fit all that in without a full complement of Tech slots. I'm on the last phase of my Living Ship quest, so I'll fly her around for a while when I get her.

    In my 1170+ hour game, I've lived and loved many ships. My current favorites are my Exotic S 48+21 Squidiculous and my S 22+21 Living Ship Etude for Three Quasars. That doesn't mean I don't love the other Living Ship or the three other Exotics sitting in my beloved B 30+8 Freighter. (Scrapping an Exotic is heartbreaking, which is why I still have six ships instead of five.)

    This requires patience.

    Continued in Part 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/ghkry0/more_things_i_wish_i_knew_when_starting_out_in/

    submitted by /u/vortexofchaos
    [link] [comments]

    Rusty Waters Raceway, Euclid Galaxy, Normal mode, PS4, on planet Yeehaa. Roamer, Nomad and Pilgrim on site. Upgrade your Exocraft! Experienced drivers can break 1 minute laps! Good luck!

    Posted: 11 May 2020 09:28 AM PDT

    Black and white, no Karen's allowed.

    Posted: 11 May 2020 09:02 AM PDT

    My little mech sculpture creation

    Posted: 11 May 2020 05:39 AM PDT

    All hail the beautiful space Jelly!

    Posted: 11 May 2020 11:11 AM PDT

    This wasn't the Warp Zone I was expecting.

    Posted: 11 May 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    Stegasaurus-wolf/swamp-thing, imagine taking this fella to the dog park ��

    Posted: 11 May 2020 07:01 AM PDT

    [Euclid] Got this Sweet Black and White Freighter In T3 Korvax System. [S Class/34 Slots]

    Posted: 11 May 2020 05:13 AM PDT

    Well... This happened

    Posted: 10 May 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    Petition Hello Games to let us rename our uploads! http://chng.it/BFcm6JLyDF

    Posted: 11 May 2020 12:24 AM PDT

    Anybody seen hexagon planet. If you know the lore please explain.

    Posted: 11 May 2020 06:32 AM PDT

    Made a new friend today

    Posted: 11 May 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment